6 Comments

1. Joyce Gioia (joy-yah)
    May 21, 2013 @ 6:54 pm

Educational games will succeed if, and only if, they include some elements of the more addictive games. The best ones already do.

• Anne Boysen
      May 21, 2013 @ 8:46 pm

Joyce, Thank you for your comment! It will be interesting to see what the game designers come up with, and to see how, or if, our schools will incorporate this aspect into their teaching plans.

2. Jonathan Peck
    May 21, 2013 @ 7:40 pm

Nice job in creating the larger context for gamification. Still it may be that our view of socialization may be expanding so that the stereotype of being in front of a screen or with people needs some updating. Many computer games now involve explicit social interactions with directed play. So just as online dating combines directed social interaction with purpose we may see games direct social activity for larger purposes. Early days for the larger purposes so I’m glad to find another futurist considering the implications.

• Anne Boysen
      May 21, 2013 @ 9:15 pm

Jonathan, thanks for your comment! I agree that the concept of socialization needs updating to include the interaction that happens via digital platforms. But where does role play end and socialization start? How authentic is the interaction via social media and gaming if it’s dominated by projections of heavily stylized selves or avatars? Or maybe the authenticity requirement too will change?

3. e-chat | Gamification…I Procrastinated!
    November 29, 2013 @ 7:01 am

[…] is what I am doing anyway, I just haven’t been using these terms! The title of this blog post ‘Gamification Learning Is What You Do When You Play’ said it so perfectly for me that I almost didn’t read beyond the title! But of course, I […]

4. Dr. Michael Sutton
    July 13, 2016 @ 10:52 pm

Ann,

I am very impressed by this fascinating report of your experiences. I was pleasantly dismayed to hear that this years conference for the Association of Professional Futurists (APF) was centered on gamification. I recollect back when I was a member of the WFS, games and sims were a critical element of what we called at that time Futures Forecasting (now Strategic Foresight).